Costume and Make-up

Whilst thinking of what the characters should look like I had to look into the fashion of the time, especially of what the children wore at the time. I found myself looking at lots of photographs of evacuees to see the different styles of coats and remind myself of the gas mask bags and tags. I also looked at these to for hairstyles too, so to be as accurate as possible.







I even looked up what the pyjamas of the 1940s were like, I knew that I'd have to draw people in their pyjamas as everyone in the flats would get changed into their pyjamas before going down to the underground shelter at night to sleep. This is the only scene where the reoccurring characters had different outfits, as they are usually simple in their buttoned up coats and hats.







As for make-up, it wasn't really needed, I'd decided that my style was going to be simplistic meaning that make-up wasn't necessary on any of the characters, except for needing rings under the eyes of some of the characters.






Comments

Popular Posts